In Ephesians 6:10-18, what does each piece of armor represent?
10 Finally, be strengthened by the Lord and by His vast strength. 11 Put on the full armor of God so that you can stand against the tactics of the Devil. 12 For our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the world powers of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavens. 13 This is why you must take up the full armor of God, so that you may be able to resist in the evil day, and having prepared everything, to take your stand.
14 Stand, therefore, with truth like a belt around your waist,
righteousness like armor on your chest,
15 and your feet sandaled with readiness
for the gospel of peace.
16 In every situation take the shield of faith,
and with it you will be able to extinguish
all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
17 Take the helmet of salvation,
and the sword of the Spirit,
which is God’s word
Putting on the full armor of God just simply means to put on Christ according to Romans 13:14 which says, But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no plans to satisfy the fleshly desires.
To overcome temptation and the schemes of the evil one, we must put on Jesus Christ who protects us.
- The Helmet means to believe in Jesus as Lord and Savior so that we may receive salvation which protects us from the wrath of God. The Helmet also shields us from deception.
- The Breastplate means to live a life of righteousness, doing God’s will by living according to His Word.
- The Belt means to know the Truth and to gird yourself with it. Just as the belt holds one’s pants up so, in the same manner, the Truth which is the Gospel must hold our life tight to it.
- The Sword means God’s Word which fights back against errors and the lies of Satan.
- The Shield means to have strong faith in the Lord so that any various attacks (temptations) shall be thwarted.
- The Shoes means to spread the Good News of Jesus Christ’s death and resurrection, that whosoever believes in Him shall not see death but have everlasting life. It also means to hold your ground and stand for the Truth as the shoes have spikes on the bottom.