[Luke 1:31, BSB] “31 Behold, you will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to give Him the name Jesus.”
- The angel, Gabriel, told Mary to name her Son, Jesus, after His birth. The name of the Son of God has great significance due to His purpose on earth and reveals who He is.
All names under heaven are given to us by God who puts it into the mind of the parents to name their child.
15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name.-Ephesians 3:15, BSB
[Luke 1:32, BSB] “32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David,”
- “He will be great” Refers to His exaltation.
- “will be called the Son of the Most High“ This title reveals the deity of Christ. To be called the Son of God shows that Jesus reflects the divine nature of God. As a son mirrors the humanity of his father, making the son human likewise, Jesus mirrors God’s divine nature, making Him God.
- “God will give Him the throne of His father David” This will be fulfilled at the second coming of Jesus Christ when He will reign as King of kings and Lord of lords on the earth for 1000 years.
17 But Jesus answered them, “To this very day My Father is at His work, and I too am working.” 18 Because of this, the Jews tried all the harder to kill Him. Not only was He breaking the Sabbath, but He was even calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God.-John 5:17-18, BSB
[Luke 1:33, BSB] “33 and He will reign over the house of Jacob forever. His kingdom will never end!”
- “His kingdom will never end!” In Daniel 2:44, it reveals that four major kingdoms of the world will come and go, but the one that God will set up will last forever.
44 In the days of those kings, the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed, nor will it be left to another people. It will shatter all these kingdoms and bring them to an end, but will itself stand forever.-Daniel 2:44, BSB
- The first kingdom was Babylon.
- The second kingdom was the Medes and Persians.
- The third kingdom was Greece, and
- The fourth kingdom was Rome.
- Right before the millennial kingdom of Christ on earth, the Antichrist will rule for seven years, but after 3 1/2 years, he will rule with an iron fist. He will demand everyone to receive his mark  or die.
[Luke 1:34, BSB] 34 “How can this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”
- Mary was perplexed on how she can get pregnant without a husband. She didn’t understand the details of the angel’s pronouncement.
The miracles that God works in our lives are the impossibles. He does this so that we may not forget that it was Him who came through for us.
[Luke 1:35, BSB] “35 The angel replied, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the Holy One to be born will be called the Son of God.”
- The angel explained to Mary that the Holy Spirit was going to plant the seed of Jesus in her womb.
- “So the Holy One to be born will be called the Son of God” Jesus’ Father wasn’t from human origin, but from God, Himself, making Him the Son of God.
All Scriptures are taken from the Berean Study Bible version (BSB). Permission has been acquired.