[Luke 1:26] “26 In the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a town in Galilee called Nazareth,”
- Gabriel was sent to Mary In the sixth month of Elizabeth’s pregnancy with John.
- Gabriel and Michael are the only two angels that are named in the Scriptures.
- Nazareth was north of Samaria, but Jesus was born in Judea from the tribe of King David to the south.
[Luke 1:27] “27 to a virgin engaged to a man named Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin’s name was Mary.”
Mary was a godly woman who walked righteously in God’s sight.
- At the time, God’s angel was dispatched to reveal God’s plan of redemption for mankind through her, by way of the impossibility [virgin birth]. Mary was starting her life, but it was about to get interrupted.
[Luke 1:28] “28 And the angel came to her and said, “Rejoice, favored woman! The Lord is with you.”
- Before the angel told Mary God’s plan for her life, he told her what she meant to the Lord.
- The word Rejoice means to bring an extremely good greeting.
- The word favored in the context means to have God’s blessing due to her having a good relationship with the Lord.
- Basically, the angel is saying to her, rejoice, God is going to bless you because you are pleasing in His sight.
How can one be favored by the Lord? First, believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. Second, read the Scriptures and walk in them. His favor will overflow to those who are obedient to His commands.
[Luke 1:29] “29 But she was deeply troubled by this statement, wondering what kind of greeting this could be.”
- “deeply troubled” In Greek, it refers to being agitated due to her nervousness, not knowing what was going on, or being scared to what the angel was about to tell her.
[Luke 1:30] “30 Then the angel told her: Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God.”
- The angel moved to comfort Mary by telling her not to worry since she had received God’s favor.
With God’s favor [blessing], we should not fear God’s direction for our lives. He has the best for us in mind.